Open Streets Amherstburg, River Lights Winter Festival, the Farmers’ Market, King’s Navy Yard Park and a host of other Amherstburg attractions and historic sites have been nominated in the 6th Annual Best of Windsor-Essex Awards competition.
Amherstburg gems are featured in more than 20 categories, ranging from Ure’s Country Kitchen and Mini Golf in the Family Friendly bracket to Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery in the Winery Experience category. G.L. Heritage Brewing Co. is in the running for Best Patio and Best Brewery Experience, and, just down the road, Fox Glen is in the running for Best Golf Course while Wolfhead Distillery is nominated in the Art of the Cocktail category.
King’s Navy Yard Park, which was named Best Park and Garden last year, has been nominated in the same category again and also in the Best Photo Op category. Holiday Beach Conservation Area, which won the Best Cottage category last year, is vying this year for best Birding Hot Spot and best Outdoor Attraction.
Three of the five nominees in the best Historical Attraction category are from Amherstburg: Park House, the Amherstburg Freedom Museum and Fort Malden National Historic Site, which won the Best Museum or Heritage Space category last year. Fort Malden is nominated in the same category again this year and is joined by the Freedom Museum.
Take a few minutes and build a buzz for the ‘Burg by voting now for your favourite Amherstburg attractions. It doesn’t cost anything but it could do an awful lot of good for an awful lot of businesses and generate positive media and social media for our Town, burnishing our credentials as a vibrant and historic tourism destination
Voting closes on Sunday March 7 at 11:59 p.m. Only one vote will be valid per email address. If you take the time to vote in all 41 vote categories, not just the two-dozen featuring Amherstburg attractions, you’ll be entered to win a Best of Windsor Essex staycation valued at $500!
There are Amherstburg entries in the following categories:
- Art Gallery or Art Space: Gibson Gallery
- Museum or Heritage Space: Amherstburg Freedom Museum; Fort Malden National Historic Site
- Adapted Event: River Lights Winter Festival
- Family Friendly Attraction: Ure’s Country Kitchen & Mini Golf
- Attraction – Historical: Park House; Amherstburg Freedom Museum; Fort Malden National Historic Site
- Attraction – Outdoor: Holiday Beach Conservation Area
- In Person Event: Open Streets Amherstburg; Amherstburg Farmers Market
- The Art of a Cocktail: Wolfhead Distillery
- Brewery Experience: GL Heritage Brewing Co.
- Coffee House or Coffee Roaster: Caffeine and Co.
- Winery Experience: Sprucewood Shores Estate Winery
- Burger Joint: Burger 67
- Farmers' Market: Amherstburg Farmers' Market
- Pasta House: Riccardo’s Italian Restaurant
- Patio: GL Heritage Brewing Co.
- Perch: The Perch Pit
- Pizza: Armando’s; Capri
- Birding Hot Spot: Holiday Beach Conservation Area
- Golf Course: Fox Glen Golf Course
- Park or Garden: King’s Navy Yard Park
- Trail: Greenway
- Local Artisan: Park House Tinsmith, Bug and Bone
- Shopping District: Amherstburg
- Photo Op: King’s Navy Yard Park
- The River Canard Canoe Company is technically in LaSalle but it’s a wonderful attraction that is literally across the street. It’s nominated for best Tour Experience – Outdoor Adventure and best On The Water Activity.